Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Wing + The Pier Lounge + HKIA

Having traveled to many of Asia's top rated airports, Hong Kong International Airport remains my favorite.

Seoul Incheon International Airport although a true marvel of both architecture and utility, I feel it lacks in the area of convenience, where the quickest method to the city takes no less than 1 hour. Another qualm I have with Incheon is the organization of the terminals. All airlines aside from Asiana Airlines and Korean Airlines is banished to the Satellite terminal creating major inconveniences when trying to arrange meet ups prior to flight.

I have no major qualms with Singapore's Changi International Airport but I feel the inconsistencies between the terminals at Changi is a major negative. However, I like the fact that the shops are open around the clock unlike at HKIA. Also, although the MRT connects the Airport to downtown Singapore, there is no express service to the city.

Hong Kong International Airport features delectable architecture with brand new terminals featuring high ceilings and large windows great for spotting. DFS shopping is excellent and the terminal even features a Zara. An underground train connects one end of the terminal from the other. And lastly, Hong Kong is only 20min away from the airport and is conveniently accessed using the Airport Express train system.

Also it offers excellent First Class lounges with above average amenities. On my trip, I had the chance to sample both of the First Class lounges: The Wing and the The Pier...

Both lounges are similar featuring excellent shower Cabanas which I will feature in this report.

Upon entering the Wing, I inquired about the possibility of an upgrade on my onward flight to Shanghai as it was on a 744 3 class plane sold as a 2 class flight. However, I was quickly denied and was told that they process status based on status on their frequent flyer program Marco Polo Club. Since I was on an award ticket and had no status on Cathay, I pretty much had no chance even with my originating flight being in First. Slightly depressed I asked for the availability of a shower Cabana and was quickly directed to one of the open Cabanas.

Upon entering my private Cabana, I couldn't help but notice how big the room was. It featured a tub, shower, sink, toilet and rest area, I could basically spend an entire morning relaxing in the space. I will let the photos do the talking...

Wicked Cool Tub

Rain Shower


Relaxation Area

I took a much needed shower in the rain shower and ran some water in the tub to soak. Unfortunately the water pressure in the tub was awful therefore I was only able to get about half a tub of water when I got out of the shower. Nonetheless, the bath was comfortable and I was even able to spend 15min lounging in the relaxation area.

After a well deserved rest, I headed out to explore the rest of the lounge.

View from the lounge

The lounge featured an excellent buffet area, but I was too full to enjoy its offerings. I instead headed out to the seating area. As soon as I sat down, I was offered a drink and I went with a glass of orange of juice. I tried out the WIFI and the signal was excellent.

Soon after, I headed out to check out the Pier Lounge, and it was more of the same thing. Pretty soon it was time to board my flight to Shanghai and I headed out to my gate.



No comments:

Post a Comment